HIPAA PRIVACY NOTICE FOR IGeneX, Inc. – May 2017
THIS NOTICE DESCRIBES HOW INFORMATION ABOUT YOU MAY BE USED AND DISCLOSED.
IGeneX, Inc. is committed to treating and using protected health information about you responsibly. This Notice of Health Information Practices describes the personal information we collect, and how and when we use or disclose that information. It also describes your rights as they relate to your protected health information.
Understanding Your Health Record Information
Each time we receive samples for you, a record is made. Typically, this record contains personal information such as address, birth date, credit card information, referring physician, diagnosis codes, insurance provider, and clinical history. This information, referred to as your patient record, serves as a:
- Means of reporting results to the referring physician
- Basis for billing
- A source of data for statistical reports
Understanding what is in your medical record and how your health information is used helps you to: ensure its accuracy, better understand who, what, when, where, and why others may access your health information, and make more informed decisions when authorizing disclosures to others.
Your Health Information Rights
Your health record is the physical property of IGeneX, Inc. Your test results will be delivered to your referring physician. You may receive a copy of your test results if you request them, per the Patient’s Access Rule.
You have the right to:
- Obtain a paper copy of this notice of information practices on request,
- Inspect and receive a copy of the health record from your referring physician as provided for in 45 CFR 164.524,
- Amend your health record as provided in 45 CFR 164.524,
- Obtain an accounting of disclosures of your health information as provided in 45 CFR 164.528,
- Request communications of your health information by alternative means or at alternative locations,
- Request a restriction on certain uses and disclosures of your information as provided by 45 CFR 164.522, and
- Revoke your authorization to use or disclose health information except to the extent that action has already been taken.
IGeneX, Inc. is required to:
- Maintain the privacy of your health information,
- Provide you with this notice as to our legal duties and privacy practices with respect to information we collect and maintain about you,
- Abide by the terms of this notice,
- Notify you if we are unable to agree to a requested restriction, and
- Accommodate reasonable requests you may have to communicate health information by alternative means.
We reserve the right to change our practices and to make the new provisions effective for all protected health information we maintain.
We will not use or disclose your health information without your authorization, except as described in this notice. We will also discontinue use or disclosure of your health information after we receive a written cancellation of the authorization according to the procedures included in the authorization.
For more Information or to Report a Problem
If you have questions or would like additional information, you may contact the HIPAA Privacy Officer for IGeneX, Inc. at 800/832-3200.
If you believe your rights have been violated, you can file a complaint with the HIPAA Privacy Officer, or with the Office for Civil Rights. For the OCR address in your Region, you may visit their website www.hhs.gov.
There are numerous options for reporting your complaint to them: OCR Portal, e-mail, form, etc.
Examples of Disclosures for Treatment, Payment and Health Operations
We will use your health information for Treatment. For Example: Your test results will be sent directly to your referring physician to determine your course of treatment.
We will use your health information for Payment. For Example: A bill will be sent to you for submission to your insurance carrier. The information on the bill and accompanying information may include information that identifies you, as well as your diagnosis. Communication with your Insurance Carrier may be necessary to expedite payment to you.
We will use your health information for Health Operations. For Example: This includes normal activities of IGeneX, Inc. such as quality control improvements or reporting of results as required by some State agencies. Statistical research may be compiled using results from patients tested here at the laboratory.
Except for the special circumstances listed below, IGeneX, Inc. will not disclose your patient record unless you provide written authorization. PHI will not be sold at any time.
IGeneX, Inc. may disclose your patient record without your authorization in the following circumstances:
- As required by law
- Public Health Activities
- Judicial and administrative proceedings
- Law enforcement purposes
Right to Receive Copies of Your PHI
You have the right to receive a copy of your laboratory test results. Within 30 days after our receipt of your request, you will receive a copy of the completed laboratory report from IGeneX unless an exception applies. Exceptions include a determination by a licensed health care professional that the access requested is reasonably likely to endanger the life or safety of you or another person, and our inability to provide access to the PHI within 30 days, in which case we may extend the response time for an additional 30 days if we provide you with a written statement of the reasons for the delay and the date by which access will be provided. You have the right to access and receive your PHI in an electronic format if it is readily producible in such a format.